To the north of Denver lies the city and county of Broomfield, Colorado – a city that has seemingly sprung up overnight. Incorporated in 1961, the town of Broomfield boasted a mere 7,000 residents according to the 1970 U.S. Census. Today nearly 60,000 people call Broomfield home. In addition to the city’s tremendous population growth over the years, Broomfield has also experienced great economic growth over the years as well; the most notable was the technology boom of the 1990s. Due to the fact that Broomfield is a very young city compared to others in the greater Denver Metro Area, most of the homes and businesses in the city consist of relatively new construction with roughly 83% of homes and businesses built between 1970 and 2007. Because the majority of buildings in Broomfield aren’t terribly old, most homeowners and business owners automatically assume the wiring and electric panels in their homes and businesses are safe, and yet they may actually be at greater risk than most historic structures.
Most of us rarely give the electric service in our homes or businesses a second thought. When we need electricity, we plug in our electronic devices, appliances and machinery and that’s that. Because all of the wires in our homes and businesses are hidden behind our walls, we are unable to see if there are any problems until it is too late. Worst of all, most homeowners and business owners aren’t even aware of how dangerous their electric service could be. According to data collected by the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) between 2007 and 2011, an average of 58,000 homes and businesses each year in the U.S. were lost to fire caused by an electrical failure or malfunction. Despite major reforms to the National Electric Code (NEC) over the last decade, the NFPA reports that the number of electrical fires in the U.S. each year has remained relatively unchanged since 2000.
One of the best ways a homeowner or business owner can help prevent themselves from becoming another NFPA statistic is by upgrading their existing electrical panels and replacing dated fuses and circuit breakers with a newer and safer type of circuit breaker known as the arc-fault circuit breaker.
Simply put, arc-fault circuit breakers are designed to detect unintended electrical arcs and interrupt the flow of current before the arc can cause damage, such as in the case of an electrical fire. In comparison, traditional circuit breakers and fuses are only capable of responding to overloads and short circuits, but not other wiring or electric service issues that might result in an electrical fire.
The National Electrical Code (NEC) now requires the installation of arc-fault breakers in all “habitable’ areas (not including laundries, kitchens, bathrooms, garages and unfinished basements) in all homes constructed after January 2008. These “fire preventing” breakers are also required in some, but not all, newly built commercial structures.
When you consider the costs of property damage, injuries and loss of life associated with just one electrical fire, the price of upgrading the electrical panel in your home or business is insignificant and yet far too many people fail to take this simple step because they are simply unaware of the danger their electric service can pose.
At APower ensuring you have safe, reliable electric service is our top priority. Contact APower today and ask us about our affordable electric service evaluation service for your home or business. Our fully licensed and insured team of fast, friendly and experienced electricians can quickly identify any issues and correct them before they can turn into much larger and more serious issues. With APower on the job, you’ll no longer need to assume your electric service is safe. You’ll know it is.
Good Job! Good Guy. No pressure estimate, will be calling to schedule shortly.
Jack Brown1/7/19 | Facebook 5 Star
Very friendly and efficient!
Julie Patton1/10/19 | BBB 5 Star
Great Job guys Todd n Tyler top notch!!! good guys getting it done!!!